The City of Tama is proud to have a city library which was established in 1907 by citizens who felt that the growing town needed a library for the betterment of the community. The Carnegie Foundation provided funds for the first library building. Books were purchased from money raised locally and donations from townspeople. Mrs. Woods was the first city librarian.
The library continued to add more items and eventually outgrew the original building. In 1999 the library received a very generous gift of over $500,000 from the estate of Louise and Lucile Hink. The balance of the cost was covered by grants and donations. The new library building was completed in the fall of 2000. Among many others, former Library Trustee, Darla Cory was very instrumental in the project. Mrs. Julie Shook was the librarian at that time.
The library has always kept pace with the new formats and programming offering audio cassettes with books and music, video cassettes, books on CD, music CDs, DVDs, in-library use computer software and of course books. The library has 11 public access computer stations. The library also provides free access to electronic databases through EBSCO and on-line audio books through a program called NEIBORS. The library celebrated it's 100th Anniversary in 2007 during Lincoln Highway Days in May.
The library has received many grants through the years, most especially grants from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, which provided new computers, software and printers.